Sunday, January 18, 2009

Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton showdown will push through after all

was reading at when I came to this article by Cedelf P. Tupas...

A day after the fight looked doomed, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum Thursday said the duel between boxing’s top pound-for-pound fighter and its 140 lb king is back “under control” because Pacquiao has agreed to a 50-50 split with Hatton.

The Los Angeles Times Thursday reported that Pacquiao is expected to sign the fight contract “sometime Thursday.”

“There was a lot of confusion about why we did 50-50, but everyone now understands why this is a good deal,” Arum told the LA Times’ Lance Pugmire. “This thing is going to happen. Thursday (Tuesday) was disarray. Today, everything’s back in order.”

Pacquiao’s lawyer, Franklin Gacal, on Monday said the Filipino superstar was demanding a 60-40 revenue sharing for the fight and hinted that they would look for another opponent if their terms were not met for the fight that is expected to gross $58.4 million.

The demand prompted Hatton’s handlers to threaten the Filipino champion with a lawsuit and Arum to call off the fight since the American promoter and the British Hitman’s handlers had verbally agreed to equal sharing late last month.

Pacquiao apparently backed out on his demand due to the expected windfall from the pay-per-view revenue in Britain, which Arum said is “attributable to Hatton.” The Filipino would get half of the PPV revenue.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. did not receive any share from the PPV income in Britain when he knocked out Hatton in 2007, Arum said.

Arum said that when he explained the Mayweather Jr. case to Pacquiao’s advisers, “everybody ... calmed down.”

The super fight, which will be held at a still undetermined venue in Las Vegas, is expected to be announced officially next week.

Readers who read this page, also read:

Bookmark and Share My Zimbio